Need some help? Check out our new Help Centre

Problem moving X to Zero

Just assembled, was pretty simple. Thanks!
Now I try to get used to it and found a problem - when send to Zero position X axis hits something near 0. Y goes to 0 fine, After that if I send "home" command it hits something again near home position. What could be the issue?

Regards

Comments

• Hi,

Is the fan spinning on the laser head? If not, check the FFC is plugged in the right way.

Does the 'homing' process work correctly. Does your machine move in the x until the limit is reached and then in the y to the top right side?

If so, can you please enter $$ in the command tab. This will return a list of parameter values. Check these values against the defaults found in the downloads section:
    http://forum.darklylabs.com/index.php?p=/discussion/41/emblaser-grbl-defaults#latest

Please let us know what you find.
  • Yes fan is spinning, it is homing properly. Problem seems to be - X cannot move 305mm, there is no room.
    Output of $$ command:
    >>> $$
    $0=10 (step pulse, usec)
    $1=25 (step idle delay, msec)
    $2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
    $3=2 (dir port invert mask:00000010)
    $4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
    $5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
    $6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
    $10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
    $11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)
    $12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
    $13=0 (report inches, bool)
    $14=1 (auto start, bool)
    $20=0 (soft limits, bool)
    $21=0 (hard limits, bool)
    $22=1 (homing cycle, bool)
    $23=0 (homing dir invert mask:00000000)
    $24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
    $25=2000.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
    $26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
    $27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
    $100=200.000 (x, step/mm)
    $101=200.000 (y, step/mm)
    $102=200.000 (z, step/mm)
    $110=8000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
    $111=8000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
    $112=8000.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
    $120=1000.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
    $121=1000.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
    $122=1000.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
    $130=305.000 (x max travel, mm)
    $131=210.000 (y max travel, mm)
    $132=10.000 (z max travel, mm)
  • This all looks correct.
    Please type the following command and post the result
    $n

• >>> $n
    $N0=G10L2P1X-305Y-210
    $N1=
  • I changed $130 to 300 and $N0 to G10L2P1X-300Y-210 (basically limited X to 300), now it works fine. Is it correct way?
    Thanks
  • Btw I still haven't received code for PicLaser, I checked my spam folder as well. Should I wait longer?
  • Hmm. All your values look correct.

These value changes will work but you should not have to do this.

Can you confirm that you tested the axes moved freely before you applied the belts? If for some reason the rails were not pushed fully into the gantry carriages then this could result.

I am concerned that if you use the machine like this you may end up damaging the rails if it is not assembled properly..
  • Also, can you please confirm that the left and right gantry carriages you received had one of the x-rail holes go all the way through to the linear bearing.
    Please see this post for how the gantry rails should look:
    http://forum.darklylabs.com/index.php?p=/discussion/16/assembly-issues-being-resolved#latest

I will look into the PicLaser code situation for you.
  • I did test axes moved freely, I have experience assembling 3d printers (reprap) so pretty match have an idea how they should move.
    I measured distance btw gantries - 351mm. Is it correct? If it is then issue probably with laser head, if not then something wrong with gantries. Maybe it is possible linear bearings did not properly sit into gantries, so gantires are closer than they should be.
  • We originally sent your PicLaser Lite Registration email to you on Jan 8th. We just resent it, so look for it in your inbox and please confirm receipt.

Thanks.
    Jeff
  • The distance you have between the gantries is correct.

Without some detailed photographs it will be difficult to see why you have the 5mm discrepancy.

Please use the machine carefully and let me know if you notice it binding or moving with difficulty in any position.
  • Jeffery, I got the email and registered succesfully, thanks.
    DarkyLabs - ok then issue must be with the laser head. It hits left gantry by small PCB where switch, which detects if laser cover is in place installed. It hits pulleys under the gantry and there is still a gap btw left gantry and plastic peace that has linear bearings in it. Is it possible that part changed recently? (I mean PCB)
    I can make a picture but not sure how to send them here.
    Regards
  • Nothing has changed with the pcb design or the laser carriage.

Some pictures will be very good. To post them just click on the little icon above your comment.

See here if you have any troubles:
    http://forum.darklylabs.com/index.php?p=/discussion/46/adding-images-to-comments-and-discussions#latest
  • Here are some imageslaser1
    laser2
  • Hi Vyacheslav,

We have looked into this further and found that the PCB assembler has left extra long feet on the solder side of many laser guard pcbs.

We have adjusted the defaults as you have found to x=300. The eliminates the problem.

The commands for others with an A4 machine to apply is:

$130 = 300
    $N0 = G10L2P1X-300Y-210
This discussion has been closed.