Need some help? Check out our new Help Centre

Change to inches

What needs to be changed to operate in inches? I see the Boolean in the GRBL settings for report inches. Do all the other settings need to be in inches as well? How about the sender, or the post processor for cut2d, or picLaser lite? I can convert to metric, it's just that all my other machines are in inches and it slows me down to convert back and forth.

Kipp

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Hi Kipp,

If you want to operate in inches, you can do the following:

1: Set the following parameter in the UGS command window:
    $13=1
    This tells the machine to report information back in inches. If you want to return to millimetres, then set $13=0
    This is a change that remains after your Emblaser is restarted.

2: If you are using Cut3D-Laser, then set your units to inches when you create a new file. It will create all the appropriate code for you to work in inches.

3: If you want to type manual commands or create code manually, then enter the following command in the UGS command window:
    G20
    This sets the operating units to inches. G21 sets it back to millimetres.
    This is only a temporary change that will revert back to millimetres when you restart the Emblaser.

4: If you want to always operate in inches then set the following parameter in the UGS command window:
    $n1=G20
    This will set the G20 (inches) command every time the Emblaser starts.

Let me know if this needs more clarification.
  • I would like to add to this. You need to set your jog feedrate in the start-up block also by setting parameter $N1=FXX. XX is your desired jog feedrate. I'm not sure if this is necessary when using UGS, but is when using PicSender as your streaming program. It will then load this default jog feedrate every time PicSender is opened.
  • Kipp,

I know I risk the chance of a few folks pushing back but, I think it's worth working in Metric. It takes a short time to get used to it . I have always ran my CNC systems in Metric and would never go back. I have had to in a few cases where what was supplied was in inches. Metric is just easier to scale in. As a self trained Engineer that often mentors, it is easier over time to work in powers of 10.
  • Brandon,
    I agree that conversions within metric are easier. It's just that my brain cannot relate 200mm to some physical size. I always have to look it up on google, "200mm to inch' to get an idea of what I need. The rest of my shop is in inches as well. So going between table saw, chop saw, etc in inches is quick, when I get to lasering it, I have to convert and it slows me down and sometimes creates errors. I have a Camaster CNC that I run in inches as well.

Kipp
  • Ah - I got a handle on it by making some things and relating to some things. IE I don't smoke but I know a pack of cigarets is

3.5" high x 2 and 1/8 wide x 7/8" thick

Or ~ 88.9mm x 45.1mm x 22.2 mm

so 4 inches is close to 100mm, also I use calipers that flip measurements with 1 press of a button.

But I can see how you would gravitate to imperial. I also make many of my tools. So I might use the Emblaser to make a cutting template to tape on the back fence of my saw.

Keep on burning

Brandon

• I both admire people who work in imperial and despise them!
  • at the risk of having a paper wad tossed at me you can use the Emblaser to cut Metric scales to add to the other tools. Kipp what do you make with your CNC router?

Brandon
  • So far some small 3 dimensional boxes, some mounts and tool holders for my shop. A cake topper for my daughter's wedding. Some clocks made from old scratched record albums. I have a sign to do pretty soon. I also collect and refurb old computers, so I have some aluminum front panels to cut out. Once I get back out in my shop, I'm going to try PCB2GCODE and see how the machine does cutting out a circuit board. I've got lots of ideas, and just over 1 year till I retire.
    Kipp