Need some help? Check out our new Help Centre

The Emblaser sucks :)

Now you have to click the link

Cheers

David

Comments

• Hi David...just a suggestion...not sure if it will work...if you put a check valve between the pump and brass nozzle, you could probably reduce the time the pump is running (less noisy)
  • Hi Joel

That is the setup I use on the real version for CNC; I have 2x 1 metre lengths of pressure pipe joined in a "U" with a check valve on each stem to give me an "in" and an "out". The pipe acts as a pressure vessel reserve and I often don't have to re pressure it during a job.

In this case the whole thing is so crude it leaks like a sieve. The little pump is not too noisy, especially when I do it properly and rest it on some rubber matting.Also, adding a length of spare tube to the output line acts as a muffler to the reciprocating "pop-pop" noise that it makes.

I spent longer making the video than I did doing the setup so it could stand a lot of refinement, the idea of the post was to get the concept out there and start people thinking, hence the provocative title.

Regards

David
  • I can see how this would work for engraving, however for cutting you would lose suction as soon as the cut broke through to the other side - and as larger pieces were cut out fully, they would fall through and you would lose 100% of the suction.

I expect this would also result in the foam 'springing' back to its full height (having been squashed by the suction initially) and put your focus out - or worse and more common, having the laser shroud scrape the surface of the material or even knocking it off as has happened to me a number of times..
  • Hi

Totally right of course though there is a way around this. On a more sophisticated vacuum set-up you put a layer of breathable material under your cutting piece, usually a bit of skimmed MDF. That way the suction is maintained even after you cut the work piece.

I only rigged it up for engraving balsa that had a bit of a cup in it.