Need some help? Check out our new Help Centre

Test Projects

In the first week of Emblazer use I tried a few different things.

Christmas cards – photo shows laser cut piece and finished card.

Chritmas card

Puzzle ball – 30 pieces cut (melted?) from plastic ring binder dividers.

puzzle ball

Silhouette – An example of the high precision of the Emblaser (original work by MC Escher).

Escher test

Reptiles – Another Escher inspired test piece in 2 mm ply. They interlock perfectly!
(from http://www.instructables.com/id/Escher-Style-Reptiles/)

rep small

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Nigel,

This is very impressive.

A trick we learnt a while back, which works well, is to use white vinegar to remove some of the residue from cutting on wood. It works to varying amounts with different types of wood.

Well done from the whole Darkly Labs Team!

• Great work!!! Could you please share your settings for us newbies? (ie. %power, travel speed, number of passes) Thanks!!!
  • Hi Sean,
    From my notes:

The green bond paper used in the Christmas card was 80 gsm (grams per square metre). I used a feed rate of 800 mm/min at 50% power. I actually cut a stack of two sheets at once using these settings, so it should be possible to use a faster feed rate or lower power for a single sheet.

The plastic was less than 0.1 mm thick. For this I used 800 mm/min, but only 20% power.

The black silhouette was cut from 185 gsm card. For this I used a feed rate of 800 mm/min again at 60% power.

The 2 mm ply was cut using a feed rate of 200 mm/min at full power. I did the engraved bits at 900 mm/min and full power, but I would reduce the power next time.

One other thing I have noted - the amount of edge burning on paper seems to depend on what is under the paper being cut. The edges of paper cut on wood look more burnt than paper cut with another sheet of paper underneath.

I hope that proves useful.
  • Nice! Do you mind sharing the file/link for the puzzle ball design? And any other links that have similar projects like it. Would love to try them out!
  • Hi AFIF,
    One source for the puzzle piece shape is:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Universal-lamp-shade-polygon-building-kit/

There are a lot of shapes that can be formed using these pieces. For inspiration (and instructions) search on “puzzle lamp” or “puzzle lights”.
  • Noted! Didn't know what to search in the first place. Thank you!