Australia Post delivered at 4:00PM on Christmas Eve, whooo hooo!
Boxing Day was build day, three hours later up and running.
Overall build was easy and well documented. This ain't my first rodeo, I have built two CNC milling machines previously, my current mill is at
so I wasn't expecting too many issues.
Comments on the build and documentation:
Page 5 - The part about Config A and Config B could be clearer. At first glance you could think that it was optional as to whether you assembled the pulleys as A or B, rather than needing to do both.
Page 8 - The XL drive pulleys for the motors are drilled and tapped for two grub screws but only one supplied each. Two would give better grip and fewer chances of slipping later if two screws were supplied for each motor
Page 9 - One of my motor mounts had undersized holes. A 3.5mm drill bit turned by hand in the vise fixed this.
Page 11 - The rear panel is a tight fit against the wiring from the back of the motors and could lead to damage of the cables. I changed my motors so the leads faced the PCB rather than being ta 90 degrees.
Page 15 - The clip for the FFC is a very poor bit of manufacture, I almost threw it out by mistake thinking it was just a bit of plastic dag that had made it into the bag. It does not lock properly so I replaced it with a cable tie. The substrate used is different to the rest of the parts printed (white not black) and the printing quality was quite frankly rubbish. This should be fixed.
Page 16. - It should be made clearer that when fitting the laser guard PCB with the switch needs to have the two pins for the header engaged. It is easy to miss and would lead to a lot of frustration for a user who could not understand why the laser would not turn on. As an aside this is pretty easy for a user to override just by shorting the header if someone was dumb enough to run the laser without the guard. Always build your engineering with the dumbest user in mind.
Page 17 - Again on the guard, it should be explicit that when fitting the guard it needs to engage the safety switch.
Page 23 - FFC Support Bracket. What a cast iron b$%^& to get through the slot, I finished up applying some lithium grease to the slot to get it to go through.
Page 31 - Fitting the belts. The bracket that secures the front panel to the top binds on the belts right where they cross over. I had to remove the bracket and will fabricate a slimline on for the outer edge rather than internally to avoid this. Ditto on Page 33.
Overall, a good unit that seems to be what it claimed to be. Software and config today, more soon.