Need some help? Check out our new Help Centre

What grade of aluminum?

Other posts have referenced the flex in the baseplate, especially the A3 model. I'm certain part of this bendy aspect is the large span between feet. I've had some experience with 6061T6 aluminum and slightly less with 7075 grade. Can someone tell me with certainty the grade of aluminum used in the baseplate? If the precise thickness is known, that would be a bonus, although I'll pull out the calipers next time I have a minute and measure it too.

Comments

• Someone on a thread here mentioned putting a piece of plywood slightly thicker than the height of the feet and fitting between them to support the flexing base (and the whole unit). I did the same and fixed that issue.
  • nice solution! Thanks
  • I traced around the base plate onto 9mm MDF, and cut that out, then set the MDF onto the Al base, and the unit onto that. Used 40mm No 6 wood screw to secure the lot together through the feet. Now I have a base board with 10mm grid lines cut in & registration holes for jigs to engrave our combs.
  • As I had a bit of a collection of honeycomb aluminum of 0.375 inches thickness, I decided to make use of it. The original base sheet is 0.090 inches, so I purchased the same stuff. I probably could have purchased two pieces of thinner gauge and removed the original, keeping things lighter. I didn't worry too much about temper, hardness, etc, but picked the lowest price option.

I have a machinists' stone and used that to assemble the composite base plate. After scratching up and cleaning the bottom of the original, to get some teeth into it, a thin layer of West Systems epoxy was applied. It was weighted until it cured, then left overnight to be sure. My additional aluminum plate was powder coated matte black, also scratched up and cleaned and became the bottom "bread" of the sandwich.

Longer screws to reach to the original corner pieces, with spacers cut from other scrap I had about. That old narrow window blinds control rod finally came in handy and looks good too.

I made sure to cut the corner radii and corner holes in the correct location prior to the above sequence. The plate is now as rigid as can be. I would not be surprised if I could stand on the center and have minimal deflection, but I'm not about to try that.

The piece of honeycomb I had available isn't as large as the entire plate, but it provides enough support to stiffen the entire machine. One would not know it's not a factory-built base plate, unless one knew the machine as intimately as we as owner/builders do.