Need some help? Check out our new Help Centre

HI Everyone

Darn, already posted in the wrong place. :-D

Hi, all you EmBlaser & PicLaser Lite friends. My name is Jeff from PicEngrave Dot Com. This Catagory was generously set up by the Darkly Labs Team for myself and our software engineer, Mr. Champlain to answer any questions you may have concerning our Image to Gcode software programs.

We all have a very exciting road ahead of us creating some amazing photo engraving projects with the EmBlaser and as we go, we will post some recommended settings in PicLaser Lite & PicEngrave Pro 5 here to help everyone get going very easily.

The settings in these two programs will be very similar and PicLaser Lite will give identical image engraving results as our full featured program will.

PicEngrave Pro 5 has an Auxiliary program "Edit Image" for auto sizing it based on the pixel resolution setting used and desired engraving size. It has Gamma, Brightness, Contrast & Sharpening adjusting features also. We have found that almost any image can be adjusted/edited to achieve the best photo engraving results using this editor.

Our PicEdit Lite program has all these same features for editing images for use with PicLaser Lite. You can open and edit bmp, jpg, png and gif file formats and saves to the correct .bmp format needed for generating the Gcodes in PicLaser Lite..

There is also an "Add Text" Auxiliary program in PicEngrave Pro 5 for personalizing your photo engravings. You can Rotate the image at 90 degree increments so you don't have to re-position your engraving material in the EmBlaser and you can even Flip the image for Laser engraving on the back of mirrors. There are also engrave Ellipse or Crop options as well.

Go to our Pic Products page on our web site for the demo downloads and our Special Upgrade pricing offer for all Registered PicLaser Lite users to our full featured PicEngrave Pro 5.

Thank you for being our new PicLaser Lite customers and a special thank you to the Darkly Labs Team for there excellent Laser Diode engraving machine design, the EmBlaser!!

Jeff

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Here is a short video showing our EmBlaser in action using PicEngrave Pro 5 and the gcode was streamed with our PicSender program. The settings were engraving angle 45, Feed Rate: 85 Inches Per Minute (2159mm/min), Pixel Resolution: .006" (.1524mm), Max. Laser Value: 200, Min. Laser Value: 10,

The image editing we did was Gamma set at .8 and Sharpen to 10. Each image will have to be taken on a one by one bases for editing and with a little trial and error time, your photo engraving projects will really stand out. PicEngrave Pro 5 also has an adjustable Gray Curve option to lighten the mid-range gray shades in an image before generating the gcode and we used a setting of 20 on the Stooges.

We are professionals and have allot of experience with engraving photos using laser diodes on different machines that we built and know first hand the dangers associated with them. We can not emphasize enough that safety is most important when using a high powered laser diodes and what your about to see in this video is not recommended. Keep all safety features of the EmBlaser in place when using it at all times.

We clamped the EmBlaser down to our large Laser diode engraving machine's table so we could clamp our Poplar wood in place. The EmBlaser's safety shield is not all the way down because we needed it to clear the clamp screws. Laser Safety glasses were worn during the whole engraving process.

Jeff

www.picengrave.com
  • edited December 2014
    Here is another one with the same settings except the Pixel Resolution was set at .007" (.1778mm).

• Hello Jeff! :)

Amateur question here: What's the purpose of clamping the wood? Considering that nothing touches it other than the laser light.

Anyway, I haven't engrave anything using the PLL software. I have only tried uploading some bitmap pictures in it and in the PEP5 trial version. It seems that there is no "preview" mode before the engraving process of what we are going to get out of the laser settings. which makes it hard to tell on the outcome of those settings.

Also, in the Cut2D software, we can set the dimension of the job area (i.e. we can make the job area the same size as the material, for example the size of an A4 paper) and resizing and re-positioning any images is easy (i.e. it is easy to estimate the size of the image based on the size of the material to be cut). Does the PLL or the PEP5 able to do the same thing..?
  • edited December 2014
    Hi AFIF,

It's been my experience even vibrations of the machine can make things move and I also use those screws for repeated zero positioning and making sure the material is square with the machine. Since I'm a machinist by trade (40 years now), I'm just used to doing things that way. I'm not suggesting to anyone to set up there EmBlaser the way I have it, it's just my personal preference.

PicLaser Lite & PicEngrave Pro is a different type of engraving program then Cut2D Laser is. Vector engraving with Cut2D, previewing the toolpath is easy as it's just lines/arcs. With our Pic products as they are raster gcode files and the toolpaths run parallel to each other very closely. The preview would be just a block full of lines on the screen.

To preview how a Laser diode photo engraving will look after engraving with our software, is to convert it to a 8bit grayscale image.

PicEngrave Pro 5 has Gray Scale preview in the main program and in the "Edit Image" Auxiliary Program. PicEdit Lite has this preview also. PicLaser Lite does not have this preview in Gray Scale feature.

The shading outcome will vary based on material color your engraving on also. White material will give you the closes outcome of 8bit shading. You just have to experiment with the settings to get the outcome as close to how the Gray Scale image looks.

Positioning question. PicLaser Lite generates the gcode X&Y zero at the lower left corner. PicEngrave Pro 5 will allow you to select lower left corner, or center of the image for the X&Y zero position. There is also a setting in PEP5 for an offset to these positions.

Jeff
  • Hi Jeff,
    My PLL is generating files .nc with "," instead of ".". Why it does so? Now UGS does not accept "," and I have to manually change "," to ".".What I need to do in order PLL generated "."?