Need some help? Check out our new Help Centre

stops cutting without error

I've been doing some test runs with the sample files and with piclaser. both piclaser and the sample image of gradiations will begin doing the fill process from the corner, get a certain amount in, and then just stop moving.
it doesn't pop an error and the laser stays on for about 30 more seconds before turning off. oddly it does not burn anything when it sits in one spot at the end. pausing and restarting the print does nothing. only major change i made was to the $$ to match the defaults posted here (initially it was set to a size smaller than the actual work area.)

Comments

• Hi John,

Can you check whether the problem occurs when cutting vector files using Cut2D-Laser.

Just create a few simple shapes and set the number of passes to something like 20 when you create your toolpath. This will give you a nice lengthy file to test. You can even run it without the laser enabled.

You can also try to use the PicSender trial with the file that pauses. UGS does not handle large engraving files very well.

Let us know how you go.
  • is there a way for cut2d to drive the laser without going through ugs?
    i just ran a smaller and simpler cut at 2 different sizes (both small enough to fit in the cutting area. the smaller one completed fine but once i upsized it, it would not complete. i closed the connection within ugs and reopened it, ran the same large file and it ran the file twice.
  • Hi John,

Cut2d can not control the machine, only generate the cutting files.

Can you email me the .nc files you are running and I can test them at my end?

Please email to domenic@darklylabs.com

What operating system are you using?

• edited February 2015
    ive sent the email. if ugs is not good at long files. is there an alternative?

additional notes: in the command table of ugs in all of the cuts that fail it shows the last 4 commands as being sent but not completed. in the lastest cut it stopped on row 6990. i will see if it stops in the same place every time and post again
  • edited February 2015
    i ran the 60-shades test pattern again. it didn't make it past line 12. it gave me an "error reading file stream:null." it happened exactly the same way with closing and restarting the emblazer even with the laser off(was testing if it was overheating).
  • ran another piclaser file. it made it to row 14412 befor stopping with 6 sent commands incomplete. laser was off.
  • Hi John,

UGS has stability issues running fast changing, very large raster gcode files.

Download our Demo of our PicSender grbl streamer program and try it. In Demo mode it will skip every two gcode lines and is the restriction until it's registered.

http://www.picengrave.com/PicSender.htm

Thank you.
    Jeff
  • I am having a similar problem where my file stopped at 2400, then at 123. I haven't exceeded 10,000 lines of code in UGS either. It just stops and burns in one place.

Would downloading PicSender fix this issue?

Thank you,

-Katy
  • Yes it should Kathryn. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
    Jeff
  • We have been working with Kathryn today to verify her code and see whether we can detect any issues.

Her code looked correct and we could run it without error on our in-house Emblaser.

She has also confirmed that PicSender streamed her job without any problems.

• Thank you all.
    John
  • Yes, PicSender fixed my issue. It's a great program, John. Thank you!
  • I am having the same problem, it engraves beautifully then all of a sudden just stops in one place with no error. I have read the above threads and can see that PicSender might help me with this, is that right? I have a mac computer, I can't see that I can download it on here? Do I have another option?
  • Haley,
    Sorry, but PicSender is Windows only.
    John